Friday, February 13, 2009

Yum-o!

I love to cook and I've been doing a lot of it lately. Here are some things we've been eating...

Frittata

Thanks to Sister Molls for inspiring me to try this one. I sauted onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Then added ham, green pepper, mushrooms, and tomatoes and sauteed until heated through. I beat together 8 eggs with some Monterey Jack/Colby blend cheese and poured them on top of the ham mixture. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. So good! So easy!

Mexican Pizza (a la Taco Bell!)
I LOVE Taco Bell, but usually after I eat there I feel pretty sick-o! I got this recipe from a friend and it is so good it helps me forget about the Bell.
½ lb. ground beef
3 T. taco seasoning
2 T. water
8 small flour tortillas
1 c. refried beans (warmed)
2/3 c. salsa or picante sauce (I use Ortega Taco Sauce)
1 c. shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese blend
¼ c. chopped tomato
¼ c. chopped green onion

Cook meat until browned and crumbled. Add taco seasoning and water to meat and stir to combine. Set aside.

On 4 of the tortillas spread a layer of beans, meat, and picante sauce.

On 4 other tortillas spread picante sauce, cheese, tomatoes, and green onions. Stack one of these tortillas on each of the others.

Place pizzas under a hot broiler until cheese is melted.


Firehouse Chili

My first attempt at chili was so bad most of it ended up in the trash! A friend gave me this recipe and it is very good. A little on the spicy side, but that's how I like it!

2 T. vegetable oil
1 ½ pounds ground beef (I use turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, minced (I use the dried flakes)
1 ½ t. salt
¼ t. cayenne pepper
¼ t. ground cumin
¼ t. ground oregano
2 T. chili powder
2 cans Ro-tel Tomatoes and Green Chiles (undrained)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans (undrained - I use one can of kidney and one can of black beans)

1. Heat oil in large pot.
2. Brown together beef, onion, and garlic; drain well
3. Add all the spices along with the Ro-tel, tomato sauce and beans.
4. Mix well and bring to a slow boil.
5. Simmer ½ hour uncovered and 1 ½ hours covered.
6. If chili gets too thick you can add a little tomato juice.

Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Domestic Kate said...

It all looks delicious! That week I planned it, I never got to try the Mexican Pizza (but I think the recipe was pretty similar). Looking at that pic, I think it's gonna have get back on the menu soon!