Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Have an Obsessive Personality

Is anyone out there completely obsessed with Jon & Kate Plus 8 on TLC? I am absolutely, 100% obsessed with this show. I love it! My Tivo is set to record it, I've seen all the episodes multiple times, and I get upset (seriously) if I miss an episode. I don't remember being this upset about missing a show since my dad set the VCR incorrectly for The X-Files on time when I was in high school (yes, I'm a geek.)

I really don't know why I like it so much. I love kids and I guess it just fascinates me to see how they deal each day with having EIGHT children. I can't even begin to imagine having one, let alone eight. Jeremy thinks I'm insane for watching, but I think he likes it some, too. He doesn't always leave the room when it's on.

I laugh out loud at this show every week. The interactions between Jon and Kate are priceless. Yes, she's a complete control freak, but at least she admits to it. I love the balance of her controlling personality and Jon's oh-so-laidback one. It's great.

I think part of the reason I love it so much is that it totally shows how imperfect this family is. They love each other fiercely, but they fight, they argue, they lose their temper, but at the end of the day they are a family and that's what matters. Sometimes "reality" tv glosses over imperfection; I like that this show is more real and honest in its portrayal.

The last episode featured Kate making "Monkey Munch" with the girls, so I hit the internet today to find the recipe. Here is what I found on their website.

Monkey Munch

9 cups Chex cereal (any variety)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Don't forget the powdered sugar!!! :)


Mix together chocolate chips, peanut butter, margarine, and vanilla. Microwave until smooth in a microwave safe bowl. Mix melted ingredients in with Chex cereal. Put Chex mixture into a large Ziploc bag and toss with powdered sugar.

YUM! I can't wait to try this one out!

Is anyone out there as obsessed with this show as I am? Anyone?

8 comments:

molly said...

have you never tried that before? I've always heard people call it dogfood. it's good no matter what it's called!

Marissa said...

No, I've never tried it. Maybe it's that rock I've been living under. Oh well...I will try it soon!

emily said...

i love me some jon and kate...the one where they drove to disney world might be my favorite. that took so much effort!

...and it was Dr. Francis.

Marissa said...

Yes, it was! Thanks for reminding me!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! So excited to hear I'm not the only one.
Oh, by the way, thanks for the dinner ideas!

Just the Spechts said...

Ok Marissa... I have to comment! I've been reading your blog for a while now, and it's been so fun to see what you're up to!! (By the way - congrats on your engagement! Your save the dates are sooo cute - I saw one on Jay's fridge when I visited him last month!) Anyway, I am SO obsessed with this show. In face, there was a marathon on last night and I stayed up WAY TOO late watching a whole bunch of episodes that I've already seen! And my husband feels the same way about it as Jeremy. I guess men just don't get the goodness that is the Gosselins!!

Marissa said...

Bethany! Wow! It has been a long time. I often wonder who out there stumbles across my blog. I hope you are well and p.s. there is a Jon and Kate Marathon AGAIN on Sunday! Yeah! Molly designed those save-the-dates for me. She's also doing my invites, programs, and thank you nots - she is super talented! :) I just thought about your Barbie b'day party and fashion show. Ha!

Just the Spechts said...

Ok, I vaguely remember the Barbie birthday party, but there was a fashion show, too??! I was in to fashion? So weird!! My mom's in town right now, I'm going to have to ask her if she remembers that one! In true mother fashion, I'm sure she can fill me in on every detail!

I had no idea Molly was so talented and artsy! That is so great that she's able to do all of your paper - that will save you soooo much money!!